About Catholic University of Eastern Africa (CUEA)
About Catholic University of Eastern Africa (CUEA) – Read details below:
The Catholic University of Eastern Africa (CUEA), like most other universities, started in a modest way. It commenced as a graduate school of theology known as the Catholic Higher Institute of Eastern Africa (CHIEA).
The Institute (CHIEA) was founded in 1984 by the regional ecclesiastical authority known as the Association of Member Episcopal Conferences of Eastern Africa (AMECEA). Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia are the member countries of AMECEA.
On 2 May 1984, CHIEA was authorized by the Congregation for Catholic Education, Vatican City (cf. Prot. N. 821/80/34), to offer two-year Licentiate/MA programmes in Theology. On 3 September of the same year, it was officially inaugurated by Rt Rev. Bishop Madaldo Mazombwe, the then Chairman of AMECEA.
On 18 August 1985, it was formally opened by Pope John Paul II. In 1986, the Graduate School of Theology started negotiations with the Commission for Higher Education in Kenya towards the establishment of the Catholic University of Eastern Africa (CUEA).
In 1989, the Institute obtained the “Letter of Interim Authority” as the first step towards its establishment as a private university. After three years of intensive negotiations between the Authority of the Graduate School of Theology (CHIEA) and the Commission for Higher Education, the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences was established. The climax of the negotiations was a granting of the Civil Charter to CHIEA on 3 November 1992. This marked the birth of the university as a private institution.
In 2002, the Faculties of Science and Commerce were established. Then in 2003, the Center for Social Justice & ethics was established.
To be a world class University producing transformative leaders for Church and Society.
To promote excellence in research, teaching and community service by preparing morally upright leaders based on the intellectual tradition of the Catholic Church.
CUEA is founded on the philosophy of the Catholic Higher Education which stresses free search for the whole truth about nature, humanity and God.
It promotes exploration of every academic discipline, inspired by Him who is The Way, the Truth and the Life (Jn 14:6) .
Our conviction is that the Spirit of the Lord enables human beings – through the development of their intelligence and talent – to find meaning in life.
The following are the CUEA core values:
- Witness of Life
Attain holistic and ethical scientific research, quality teaching and community service.
Produce authentic leaders and upright members of the Church and Society capable of contributing to sustainable Development according to God’s plan.
To enhance a conducive environment for sharing the joy of learning, discovering and communicating knowledge.
Achieve inculturation of Christian in African for deeper evangelization and integral development.
Serve local and international community’s by critically addressing root causes of conflicts for the implementation of lasting peace, justice and reconciliation.
- Develop and review programs every two years in order to address contemporary leadership challenges in the church and society.
- To annually organize in-service training for the staff to serve as role models for church and society
- To annually equip at least 1000 students, church and community leaders with ethical holistic skills for sustainable development.
- To obtain feedback from at least fifty percent of key stakeholders with seventy percent indicating high satisfaction (3/5) with administration service every year for the next ten years.
- To reduce reliance on tuition fees by twenty percent in the next ten years.
- To enhance research on inculturation in Africa to provide new paradigms for deeper evangelization and integral development.
- To develop Curricula that enhances inculturation of Christianity in Africa and evaluate their implementation annually.
- To disseminate knowledge and experience on inculturation towards formation of Church and society leaders in at least six countries in Africa in the next ten years
- Conduct research on root causes of existing conflicts in Africa, every two years, to find solutions to lasting peace.
- To develop, review, and publish training, awareness and advocacy materials on peace building every two years.
- Organize an international conference on peace, justice and reconciliation, every three years.
The Catholic University of Eastern Africa (CUEA) in its vision, mission, and philosophy is committed to offering scientific research, holistic teaching and beneficial community service to cater for the needs and expectations of its customers and continually improve its quality management systems according to ISO 9001:2008 Standard.
The Quality Policy shall be communicated, understood, implemented, monitored, communicated and reviewed at least every two years for continual suitability. CUEA shall develop and review its quality objectives and communicate them to all employees. The Management is committed to meeting all statutory and regulatory requirements and providing the necessary resources.
Corporate Quality Objectives
In its endeavor to realize its Quality Policy Statement CUEA has set out the following Quality Objectives at Corporate level:
- To ensure at least fifty (50) research publications in refereed journals or equivalent every academic year.
- To enhance the provision of holistic teaching by developing the capacity of the faculty by 5% every academic year.
- To increase the number of new academic programmes by at least six (6) every two (2) academic years.
- To annually increase university community service activities by at least 10%.
- To annually increase customer satisfaction by 50%.
- To annually increase the number of staff trained by 30% to enhance competence for improving the efficiency in the QMS.
- Improve the level of timely adherence to statutory and regulatory requirements annually.
- Reduce costs by at least 2% through efficient and prudent management of internally and externally mobilized resources every year.
- Increase University income by 4% annually through mobilization of sustainable programmes and activities that meet ethical standards.
- Improve University infrastructure by 10% in the next five years.
List Of Public Universities
List Of Private universities
List Of Technical and Vocational Education and Training Institutions