About Kenya Wildlife Service Training Institute
About Kenya Wildlife Service Training Institute | See and read details on the History and establishment of Kenya Wildlife Service Training Institute.
History Of Kenya Wildlife Service Training Institute
KWSTI was established following provisions of the wildlife policy contained in the sessional paper No 3 of 1975, ‘Statement of the Future of Wildlife Management Policy in Kenya’ (Republic of Kenya 1975). The sessional paper spelt out a need to build capacity in view of an important shift in wildlife conservation policy that was intended to harmonise conservation with economic and social development.
The institute was opened in 1985 as Naivasha Wildlife and Fisheries Training Institute to offer in-service training institute for the then departments of wildlife and fisheries under the Ministry of tourism and wildlife. The first group of students in 1985 comprised newly appointed university graduate Assistant Wardens and Fisheries Officers on an induction course.
The land on which KWSTI is located was declared the Naivasha Wildlife Training Institute Local Sanctuary through gazette notice No. 84 dated 6th June 2000. The institute was given a provisional registration as a Technical, Industrial, Vocational and Entrepreneurship Training (TIVET) Institution on 1st July 2009 and was subsequently given authority to examine and award Diplomas and Certificates under the Education Act (Cap 211) through gazette notice No. 1615 dated 17th February 2012. KWSTI was the 3rd TVET institution in Kenya to be awarded authority to examine and award its own certificates through the Education Act (CAP 211)
Location and environment
The institute is located 90 km southwest of the city of Nairobi. It is situated in a serene, pristine and scenic site that is ideal for training in wildlife management, tourism and hospitality management, and fisheries. An abundance of wildlife roams the institute grounds that include giraffe, impala, waterbuck, wildebeest, waterbuck, zebra, eland, buffalo, warthog and hippopotamus. The institute land has a lake Naivasha frontage where a fisheries teaching annex is located.