About Railway Training Institute
About Railway Training Institute – See details below…
History of The Railway Training Institute
The Institution has a rich history as being one of the oldest training institutions in the East African region dating back to the colonial era. The institute was set up to meet the increasing demand for skilled workforce required to manage the East African railways and harbours. On June 29, 1956, Fredrick Crowford, Deputy Governor of Kenya unveiled the plaque to inaugurate the institute as a centre for developing human resources for the East African Railways. Upon dissolution of the then East African Railways and harbours in 1976 the institute became under full ownership of the Kenya Railways Corporation and focused exclusively on railway courses as a means of meeting the technical skills required to manage the Kenya railways systems in the country.
The Institution is a member of Kenya Technical Institutions Sports Association (KETISA) and has been ranked among the top five which reinforces the college�s commitment to training well-rounded individuals through the provision of a variety of sports and Games to develop and expose talents among our students.
To become a world-class training centre committed to professional excellence.
To provide practical and quality training in Transport and logistics responsive to a dynamic market environment through Research and Technology.
- Professionalism: We seek high standards of management, service delivery and professionalism to ensure efficient, effective and high-quality standard services.
- Innovation: Continually adapt, evolve and change to improve our courses, methodology, and technology in order to be at the forefront of education and training.
- Customer Focus: We are continuously committed to achieving the highest level of customer satisfaction through the improvement of our services, innovation, and technology.
- Integrity: Adhere to the highest standards of accountability, transparency, and diligence in all our professional and personal obligations and responsibilities to our students, staff and other stakeholders.
- Teamwork: Foster a work environment of team building, shared skills, openness and honest communication.
- Respect: We hold every person, customer and visitors with high esteem no matter the gender, ability or disability, religion, political race, creed they may belong too. We conduct our duty with great humility. Excellence
- Provision of education and training for the Transport and Logistics sector
- Production of Human Resource training for the Kenya Railways
- Provision of Education and training for the Rail sector
- Production of Technical, Vocational, Management, and Business related education and training
- Provision of Research and Consultancy for the industry
The management of the Institute rests with a Board of Governors which consists of 11 members appointed due to the Institutions they represent, to cater to the needs of various stakeholders. The BOG reports to the KRC Board through the Corporations Managing Director.