HELB Sign Up
HELB Sign Up – Details:
- Visit our website www.helb.co.ke to access the Student Portal and click on “create an account” to register.
- Once the account is created, log in and select the appropriate First Time Loan Application Form [LAF].
The Student Portal gives you instant access to a wealth of resources at HELB.
How does it work?
The system is very easy to use. When you register and login you will have access to everything from loan application to allocation and disbursement status. Who can use the portal? Any registered or existing students can have free and unlimited access to the portal.
- HELB online application
- HELB portal registration
- HELB registration requirements
- HELB mobile application
How does it work?
You can download the enquiry form or access the loanees portal for your balance statement, compliance and clearance.
A loanee shall be required, subject to and in accordance with HELB Act 1995 or any regulations made there under,
within one year of completion of his studies or within such period as the Board decides to recall its loan whichever is
- To inform the Board of his/her contact address.
- To begin repayment of his/her loan together with any interest accrued thereon;
- If he is in formal employment, to authorize his employer to deduct the loan repayment and to remit it to HELB as directed.
When one takes out a loan, HELB will require the loanee to sign a declaration which is also a contract. This states that the loanee has read and understood the Terms and Conditions and will therefore agree to repay the loan in line with the regulations that apply at the time the repayments are due and as they are amended. The loanee must ensure to provide complete and correct information when taking out the loan. The Loanee should update HELB about any changes in their details;
- During the application process;
- While still at university or college; and
- Until the loan is repaid in full.
The loan agreement is a contract.
Some of the mandatory information required on the Enquiry Form for effective processing and recovery of the loans shall include the
- National Identification (ID) and
- Personal Identification number (PIN)
- Contacts such as Postal addresses, Telephone, Emails
- To repay loan in line with the regulations;
- Maintain up to date personal details (for example, if your address, name or employment details change)
- Comply with HELB requests and processes;
- Keep track of own repayments;
What you can expect from us
- Statements showing your loan repayment status are available on www.helb.co.ke
- Certificate of clearance upon completion;
- Certificate of Compliance for non-loanees or loanees who are consistently repaying are available on www.helb.co.ke
- Guidance on your loan and repayments;
- Refunds of any overpayments;
Are you an institution looking to remit HELB student loans? Our portal is here to help you get set up.
Obligation Of the employer
All employers in Kenya have three obligations to HELB, namely, to Disclose, Deduct and Discharge payments to HELB.
Naivasha, 27th April 2023.
The Higher Education Loans Board [HELB], in partnership with Safaricom, has today officially launched the HELB Mobile Wallet Payment Solution for students in Higher Education Institutions [Universities and TVET Colleges] to access and utilize their HELB upkeep loan. The launch took place during the 2023 HELB Universities Consultative Forum.
The Mobile Wallet payment solution is now accessible through the Safaricom M-PESA Mini App and HELB USSD *642#.
The solution empowers beneficiaries to apply for subsequent loans, access HELB upkeep funds, withdraw funds, view loan status, access loan statements and repay loans, all from feature phones, Android and iPhone app.
HELB continues to embrace the government’s digital transformation agenda by leveraging on ICT for seamless service delivery and digitization of its services. HELB CEO expects the solution to conveniently serve the annual target of over 420,000 students and growing. “In addition to bank account options, HELB continuously seeks to create convenience and give students other options for service access. With the launch of the mobile wallet payment solution, HELB aims at providing a simple digital customer journey for the management of student loan funds,” said FCPA, Charles M. Ringera, HELB CEO. Airtel and Telkom mobile payment solution options are currently underway.
The Higher Education institutions continuing students can receive notifications and access the utilization statement for financial planning; while the beneficiaries who have graduated can track their payments and generate loan statements. “We remain committed to playing our part in improving citizen service delivery and therefore strive to ensure that the borrowing customers, students, get a delightful experience. The loan beneficiaries will be expected to, in-turn, repay the loan after completion of their studies in order to create a revolving fund for future generations,” said Rt. Hon. Ekwee Ethuro, HELB Chairman.
HELB therefore, wishes to encourage students studying in universities and TVET colleges to embrace this initiative which provides them with an efficient solution for HELB Loan fund access and management.
FCPA Charles M. Ringera,
HELB MPESA Wallet Guide.
The HELB loan mobile payment option is currently available on Mpesa, below is the procedure on how you can access and withdraw the funds from HELB Mini App.
- Download the MPESA App from Google App Playstore or Apple App Store or Huawei App gallery.
- Register on the MPESA App using your MPESA registered phone number, and make sure you are using data bundles from Safaricom.
- Login and go to the home page, then Categories, and to the Education tab.
- Select HELB from Education tab.
- Register on the HELB Mini app.
- Sign in using your MPESA registered phone number, and you will receive a verification code via SMS for login.
- Once you log in, kindly click on the home page tab to withdraw your funds to your MPESA using the withdraw button on the page.
Should you require further support, please email us on ContactCentre@helb.co.ke or call us on 0711052000
How to Repay loans using the HELB Mobile Wallet
Mobile Payment Services: M-PESA
Using M-PESA (Safaricom) Money Transfer:
- Select pay bill option
- Enter HELB business number as 200800
- Enter your national ID number as your account number
- Enter amount you want to pay
- Enter your secret PIN number
- Confirm transaction and send
Note: The transaction reflects in your statement immediately after the transaction.
Using M-PESA (Safaricom) Money Transfer for Employers
- Upload the remittance schedule
- Generate the E-Slip
- Go to the M-PESA menu and click on Lipa na M-PESA, then Paybill
- Enter 200800 as the business number
- For the account details, enter the generated E-Slip number as the account number
- Enter your PIN number
- You will receive a confirmation message for payment
Note: The transaction will reflect in the employer statement and posted to individual loanee statements.
Send all HELB Loan enquiries to any of the following contact details below and you will be responded to as soon as possible: