Kenyatta University Library
Kenyatta University Library – Read Details Below:
Mission, Vision & Objectives
To be a centre of excellence in the provision of library and information services to Kenyatta University and the global community.
Mission Statement of the University Library
To provide a dynamic and quality user centered library and information services that enhance teaching, learning and research while inculcating life-long learning skills and fostering human development.
The Library brings high quality, scholarly information resources and services to the Kenyatta University Community.
The Library acknowledges and is committed to the values of Kenyatta University: truth, excellence, self-reliance, innovation, professionalism, quality and relevance. In demonstrating this commitment we ensure that:
- Our clients are at the core of all we do
- We distinguish ourselves through service excellence that recognizes our clients’ needs and diversity
- Our staff are a valued resource
- Together, we pride ourselves on our ability to accept challenges and deliver results that enhance quality of service
Objectives of the Library
- Selecting, acquiring and organizing relevant and up-to-date information resources in all formats appropriate to the information needs of the university.
- Establishing, promoting and maintaining a wide range of services and dissemination strategies that support the academic programmes of the University and encourage optimum exploitation of the resources of the library.
- Continuously conduct information literacy and orientation to users through a variety of methods in order to provide guidance on use of the library’s collection and inculcate lifelong information skills
- Developing and retaining qualified, experienced and dedicated professional library staff who will offer high quality services to the users of the library.
- Adopting technologies that will make information resources accessible to the University community in an equitable, efficient and effective manner.
- Organize and preserve locally produced knowledge within KU and provide access anywhere and at any time.
- Provide a secure and conducive learning environment for use of library resources.
- Ground Floor – Education & Information Science Subject Library
- First Floor – Social Science Subject Library
- Second Floor – Humanities Subject Library
- Third Floor – Science & Technology Subject Library
- Fourth Floor – Research & Special Collection Library
- Fifth Floor – Research Commons (For Post-graduates and Staff)
Each floor has a Subject Library Counter which provides Information Services on the subject area except the Fifth floor. Other services availed across the counter include:
- Access to Back Issues of Newspapers
- Magazines & Reviews
Rules & Regulations
Persons who wish to use the Library must be registered as members
- All persons registered as University Library members are required to abide by these regulations.
- The University Librarian may suspend from the use of the library any person breaking these Regulations.
- Order and silence must be maintained at all times in the Library.
- Smoking, eating, drinking and sleeping in the Library is prohibited.
- Briefcases, bags, overcoats, hats, umbrellas, etc, are not allowed in the library.
- All persons entering the library must show their university ID.
- All persons leaving the library must show all their documents to the Security staff at exit.
- Stealing or attempting to steal a library document or any of the library property is an offense. Appropriate disciplinary action will be taken against the offender.
- The library will not take responsibility for loss or damage of personal property left in the reading and baggage areas.
- Mobile phones and other devices likely to cause disturbances should not be used in the library unless their use is silent.
- Ink bottles, paints etc, which may accidentally damage library materials are not allowed into the library.
- Damage of library materials, equipment, property, or building is prohibited and must be reported immediately to a member of library staff. Those responsible must pay for the damage.
- The Library reserves the right to ask any person to stop using computer equipment if the library staff has reasonable grounds to believe that that person is misusing it.
- Computers are provided for the purpose of research and other educational endeavors. Misuse of the facilities e.g. game playing, e-trade, hacking, change of PC or Network settings is prohibited.
- Borrowing is restricted to registered members
- Library members are responsible for loss or damage of library materials in their possession. They will be required to pay for the loss or damage at a cost to be determined.
- Library materials are not to be taken out of the library unless they are properly issued.
- Marking, defacing or mutilation of any library material is prohibited
- Most books in the library may be borrowed but Reference books, Journals, etc, may only be taken out of the library with authority of the relevant Head Librarian.
- Loaned items may not be transferred from one borrower to another but must be returned to the library for re-issuing.
- The university ID must be produced when borrowing and returning library items.
Registered members can borrow materials as indicated:
- Academic staff: 10 items
- Post-Graduates: 10 items
- Undergraduates: 7 items
- Staff Grades A-F: 6 items
- Staff Grades I-IV: 4 items
Registered members are allowed to keep borrowed items for the period indicated below
- University Staff: 4 weeks
- Postgraduates: 4 weeks
- School-Based: 4 weeks
- Undergraduates: 2 weeks
- Borrowed Library materials not returned after the due-date attract fines
- Borrowing rights may be withdrawn from persons who persistently keep library materials overdue.
- Fines of Ksh.2/= for each subsequent day will be charged for books returned late on long loan.
- Fines of Ksh.5/= for each subsequent hour will be charged for books returned late from Short Loan.
All registered members of the library must clear with the University Library at the expiry of their membership.
There is a copyright protection law on most of the library materials. Deliberate infringement on this law e.g. unauthorized copying, is a criminal offense. All users of electronic information resources must abide by the terms of the appropriate licenses. However, permissible copying limits as per Copyright Act may be made for academic purposes. All users of library materials must observe these limits in the Library premises or elsewhere.
Rules And Regulations Governing The Use Of Laptops To Access The Library Wireless Network
- Laptops should only be used in designated areas.
- Users of Laptops must maintain order and avoid distracting other users.
- The University Library accepts no responsibility for loss of laptop, data or software therein.
- Laptops can be used to access the Library wireless facility but must not be directly connected to the University Campus network, Library computers or any other device without prior approval.
- Access must only be for purposes declared which are in line with the users’ academic, research and/or learning programs of Kenyatta University.
- Users should not use laptops to access e-mail, play games, watching movies, play music, etc.
- If any abuse/non compliance is discovered/detected, the connection privileges will be terminated with immediate effect and disciplinary action taken.
- All other Library rules and regulations apply
This facilitates equitable circulation of information resources among all users.
Information materials borrowed on regular loan are all issued at the circulation section.
Short loan materials are issued from the Circulation Section and at the Education Subject Counter
Lending Regulations and penalties
- Only registered students of Kenyatta University and Staff are entitled to borrow materials.
- All library users MUST produce their Student /Staff identification card before borrowing any information material.
- Lost or mutilated information materials on loan will be replaced at the market cost of the information materials plus KSh. 500. processing charges.
- Information materials borrowed on regular loan and not returned on the due date will be charged KSh. 5/= on the 1st day and KSh. 2/= for the rest of the days.
- Information Borrowed on short loan and not returned on time will be charged Ksh. 5/= per hour.
Recall of Materials on Loan
The Librarian may recall any information material on loan from a user by notice which shall specify return of the same. If a user does not return the item as specified, he shall incur a fine of Kshs. 5 per book per day.
Photocopy services are offered at the following rates: Photocopy- KSh. 2/= per page.This is done within the permissible copying limits as per Copyright Act.
The library subscribes to e-books and e-journals which can be accessed from all Library computer labs. These can also be accessed from the library if a user has a laptop through wireless connectivity.
- Library Catalogue
- Electronic Journals & Databases
- Institutional Repository
- Past Examination Papers
Library Service Charter
- The Library’s Service Delivery Charter
1 Kenyatta University
2 Kenyatta University Contacts
3 Kenyatta University Address
4 Kenyatta University Student Portal
5 Kenyatta University Digital School
6 Kenyatta University Logo
7 Kenyatta University Admission Letters
8 Kenyatta University Diploma Courses
9 Kenyatta University Courses
10 Kenyatta University Library
11 Kenyatta University Certificate Courses
12 Kenyatta University Admission
13 Kenyatta University Application
14 Kenyatta University Admission list
15 Kenyatta University Accommodation
16 Kenyatta University Admission Forms
17 Kenyatta University Application Form
18 Kenyatta University Bridging Courses
19 Kenyatta University Bachelor Of Commerce Fee Structure
20 Kenyatta University Bachelor Of Commerce
21 Kenyatta University Business Courses
22 Kenyatta University Bachelor Of Arts
23 B.Com Kenyatta University
24 Kenyatta University B.Com Syllabus
25 Kenyatta University Corporate Email
26 Kenyatta University City Campus
27 Kenyatta University Campuses
28 Kenyatta University Catalogue
29 C- Courses in Kenyatta University
30 Kenyatta University Distance Learning
31 Kenyatta University Diploma In Nursing
32 Kenyatta University Diploma In Education Fee Structure
33 Kenyatta University DSVOL
34 Kenyatta University Degree Courses
35 Kenyatta University Departments
36 D+ Courses in Kenyatta University
37 Kenyatta University Email Address
38 Kenyatta University Embu Campus
39 Kenyatta University Education Courses
40 Kenyatta University Engineering Courses
41 Kenyatta University E-Learning Courses
42 Kenyatta University E-Resources
43 Kenyatta University E Library
44 Kenyatta University E-Learning Student Portal
45 Kenyatta University E Repository
46 Kenyatta University Fee Structure
47 Kenyatta University Faculty Portal
48 Kenyatta University Finance Department
49 Kenyatta University Fee Structure For Jab Students
50 Kenyatta University Graduation
51 Kenyatta University Graduation List
52 Kenyatta University Graduate School
53 Kenyatta University Graduation Application
54 Kenyatta University Grading System
55 Kenyatta University Graduation Fee
56 Kenyatta University GPA Calculator
57 Kenyatta University Graduation Requirements