KNEC Kenya – About Kenya National Examination Council
KNEC Kenya – About Kenya National Examination Council:
Who we are
Transforming Lives through Quality Assessment and Credible Certification.
The mandate of KNEC is outlined in Section 10 of KNEC Act No. 29 of 2012 as to
- Set and maintain examinations standards.
- Conduct public academic, technical and other national examinations within Kenya at basic and tertiary levels
- Award certificates or diplomas to candidates in such examinations. (Such certificates or diplomas, shall not be withheld from the candidate by any person or institution)
- Confirm authenticity of certificates or diplomas issued by the Council upon request by the government, public institutions, learning institutions, employers and other interested parties.
- Undertake research on educational assessment.
- Advice any public institution on the development and use of any system or assessment when requested to do so, and in accordance with such terms and conditions as shall be mutually agreed between the Council and the public institutions.
- Promote the international recognition of qualifications conferred by the Council.
- Advice the Government on any policy decision that is relevant to, or has implications on the functions of the Council or the administration of examinations in Kenya.
- Do anything incidental or conducive to the performance of the preceding functions.
Our Core Functions
- Develop examination policies, procedures and regulations
- Develop national examinations
- Register candidates for the KNEC examinations
- Conduct examinations and process the results
- Award certificates and diplomas to successful candidates
- Conduct research on educational assessment
- Carry out equation of certificates and diplomas issued by other credible examining boards
- Conduct examinations on behalf of foreign examination boards
- Advise the Government on matters pertaining to examinations and certification.
Our Core Values
- Professionalism – Our work is rooted in accurate data, critical skills, tested knowledge and collaborative thinking.
- Integrity – We are trusted to efficiently use our resource to deliver our promise ethically with utmost honesty.
- Team spirit – We embrace collaboration and team up with strategic partners in service delivery.
- Innovativeness – We are committed to creativity and aspire to embrace new ways and ideas of service delivery.
- Accountability – We embrace reliability and personal responsibility for decisions and actions taken in order to honor commitments to our customers.
Quality Policy Statement
The Kenya National Examinations Council is committed to providing quality products and services in educational assessment to its customers by developing and conducting school and post-school examinations that are credible and of nationally and internationally acceptable standards, award and equate certificates, conduct research and promote best practices in assessment for national development.
To achieve this commitment, KNEC shall:
- Comply with statutory and regulatory requirements;
- Identify and meet customer needs and expectations;
- Provide and maintain appropriate infrastructure;
- Improve internal and external communication systems;
- Establish partnerships with stakeholders;
- Identify, monitor and review risks and opportunities;
- Monitor and review internal and external issues in line with the strategy; and
- Develop Quality Objectives at relevant functional levels
KNEC shall establish, implement, maintain and continually improve the Quality Management System in compliance with the requirements of ISO 9001:2015.
Chief Executive Officer
4th September 2018
We have different portals each examination has its own portal mostly for registration purposes. All examination centres are expected to log onto a platform for specific examination and enter the candidates’ details using the school/centre registration password.
The specific registration period for each examination shall be communicated separately through a circular. The dates must be adhered to since there will be no late registration of candidates.
CLICK HERE TO VIEW ALL THE LINKS TO OUR EXAMINATION PORTALS INCUDING KCPE & KCSE REGISTRATION, AND OTHERS
Query Management Information System (QMIS)
The Query Management Information System (QMIS) is an electronic platform for online submission and processing of queries relating to examination results such as Certification of Examination Results for candidates who have lost their certificates, Confirmation of Examination Results and Equation of Foreign Qualifications.
Other queries handled by the system include:-
- Bio data amendments (name, photo, gender, year of birth, birth certificate number, citizenship, entry code.
- Direct Recoveries for KCPE/KCSE result slips, certificates and result printout.
- Results (marks) queries i.e. absenteeism, missing marks and payment queries.
Below is a detailed schedule of the QMIS process:-
A client needs a computer/mobile phone with internet access.
- Use the web address https://qmis.knec.ac.ke to access the QMIS system;
- If new, the user is then prompted to register, a registered user however logs in using their credentials;
- The Client then accesses the User Manual. The User can at this point identify the requirements relevant to his query and upload scanned copies of the requisite documents;
- They then make a payment of the amount as prompted by the system. Payments are by M-pesa;
- Upon successful processing of the query, KNEC, using the Client’s provided email or phone number, notifies them to collect their processed document(s). A client is at the point of collection required to avail original copies of the documents they had attached during the application process.
NB: The Client username and password are confidential. Do not disclose these to a third party. You MUST key in a valid email address and/or mobile phone number to receive feedback.