Kenya National Examinations Council KNEC Latest News 2023-2024
KNEC Latest News – Details:
Our Latest News
UNDERSTANDING THE COMPETENCY BASED ASSESSMENT (CBA)
Assessments are critical to the educational process. Without them teachers would never know when to move on to the next concept or how to enhance understanding of concepts when facilitating learning.
What is Competency Based Assessment (CBA)?
It is a purposeful systematic continuous process of gathering information from multiple sources for making decisions on what learners know, needs to learn, has learned and can do. It involves creating opportunities for learners to apply the knowledge, skills attitudes and values they have learnt to solve real world problems.
Are CBA and CBC the same thing?
Competency Based Curriculum (CBC) is the curriculum or the umbrella structure that guides how teaching is to be conducted. It is falls under the mandate of the Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development (KICD). On the other hand, Competency Based Assessment (CBA) is the process of determining the capability of a learner to apply a set of related Knowledge, Skills, Values and Attitudes required to successfully perform a task.
The Kenya National Examinations Council (KNEC) is mandated to carry out assessments as envisaged in the Basic Education Curriculum Framework (BECF) based on the CBC Designs.
How is Basic Education structured under CBC?
Early Years Education – two years pre-primary (PP1, PP2) and three years lower primary (Grades 1, 2, 3).
Middle School Education – three years Upper Primary (Grades 4, 5, 6) and three years Lower Secondary (Grades 7, 8, 9).
Senior School – Grades 10, 11, 12 and which marks the end of Basic Education.
Query Management Information System (QMIS)
The Query Management Information System (QMIS) is an electronic platform for online submission and processing of queries relating to examination results such as Certification of Examination Results for candidates who have lost their certificates, Confirmation of Examination Results and Equation of Foreign Qualifications.
Other queries handled by the system include:-
- Bio data amendments (name, photo, gender, year of birth, birth certificate number, citizenship, entry code.
- Direct Recoveries for KCPE/KCSE result slips, certificates and result printout.
- Results (marks) queries i.e. absenteeism, missing marks and payment queries.
Below is a detailed schedule of the QMIS process:-
A client needs a computer/mobile phone with internet access.
- Use the web address https://qmis.knec.ac.ke to access the QMIS system;
- If new, the user is then prompted to register, a registered user however logs in using their credentials.
- The Client then accesses the User Manual. The User can at this point identify the requirements relevant to his query and upload scanned copies of the requisite documents.
- They then make a payment of the amount as prompted by the system. Payments are by M-pesa;
- Upon successful processing of the query, KNEC, using the Client’s provided email or phone number, notifies them to collect their processed document(s). A client is at the point of collection required to avail original copies of the documents they had attached during the application process.
NB: The Client username and password are confidential. Do not disclose these to a third party. You MUST key in a valid email address and/or mobile phone number to receive feedback.
KNEC Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)
KNEC participates in a tree planting exercise as part of its Corporate Social Responsbility (CSR) at St. George’s Primary School in Nairobi County.
The KNEC’s team led by Mr. Wesley Kirui (Secretary, Occupational Safety and Health) prepares the teachers and pupils of St. George’s Primary School in Nairobi County to a tree planting exercise on June 25, 2021.
Send all KNEC enquiries to any of the following contact details below and you will be responded to as soon as possible:
- KENYA NATIONAL EXAMINATIONS COUNCIL
Chief Executive Officer – P.O. Box: 73598 00200, Nairobi, Kenya.
- +254 020 3317412 / 3317413 / 3317419 / 3317427 / 3341027 3341050 / 3341071 / 3341098 / 3341113 / 2213381
- Fax: +254-020- 2226032