When was HELB Established?
When was HELB Established? – Answer:
The Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) is a statutory body established in July 1995 by an Act of Parliament ‘Higher Education Loans Board Act’ Cap 213A. It is a state corporation in the Ministry of Education. The Board is domiciled and operates within the republic of Kenya. It is governed by Board of Directors and headed by the Chief Executive Officer and Board Secretary who is responsible for general policy and strategic direction of the Board and the Secretary to the Board of Directors.
- HELB online application
- HELB portal registration
- HELB registration requirements
- HELB mobile application
Send all HELB Loan enquiries to any of the following contact details below and you will be responded to as soon as possible:
- Anniversary Towers, 19th Floor
- P.O Box 69489-00400
- Nairobi, Kenya
Student Service Centre
- Mezzanine One (M1) Floor Anniversary Towers
- Operating Hours: 8.00am – 5.00pm
- Service Offered: Loan Disbursement Enquiries
Customer Experience Centre.
- Ground Floor, Anniversary Towers
- Operating Hours: 8.00am – 5.00pm
- Service Offered: Loan Repayment, Compliance & Clearance and HELB Jielimishe Loan Enquiries.
- Operating Hours: 8.00am – 5.00pm
The HELB services are now accessible country wide in Huduma Centres
HELB Is Physically Present At:
- Taita Taveta
- West Pokot,
HELB Select Services Available Through Cybercafes At The Following Huduma Centres:
- City Square
- Tana River
- Elgeyo Marakwet
- Homa Bay
The HELB MPESA Wallet Guide.
The HELB loan mobile payment option is currently available on Mpesa, below is the procedure on how you can access and withdraw the funds from HELB Mini App.
- Download the MPESA App from Google App Playstore or Apple App Store or Huawei App gallery.
- Register on the MPESA App using your MPESA registered phone number, and make sure you are using data bundles from Safaricom.
- Login and go to the home page, then Categories, and to the Education tab.
- Select HELB from Education tab.
- Register on the HELB Mini app.
- Sign in using your MPESA registered phone number, and you will receive a verification code via SMS for login.
- Once you log in, kindly click on the home page tab to withdraw your funds to your MPESA using the withdraw button on the page.
Should you require further support, please email us on ContactCentre@helb.co.ke or call us on 0711052000
How to Repay loans using the HELB Mobile Wallet
Mobile Payment Services: M-PESA
Using M-PESA (Safaricom) Money Transfer:
- Select pay bill option
- Enter HELB business number as 200800
- Enter your national ID number as your account number
- Then Enter amount you want to pay
- Enter your secret PIN number
- Confirm transaction and send
Note: The transaction reflects in your statement immediately after the transaction.
Using M-PESA (Safaricom) Money Transfer for Employers
- Upload the remittance schedule
- Generate the E-Slip
- Go to the M-PESA menu and click on Lipa na M-PESA, then Paybill
- Enter 200800 as the business number
- For the account details, enter the generated E-Slip number as the account number
- Enter your PIN number
- You will receive a confirmation message for payment
Note: The transaction will reflect in the employer statement and posted to individual loanee statements.
HELB Subsequent 2023-2024
Type of Loan Application
There are two types of undergraduate loan applications:
- First Time Application-This is for applicants who are applying for the first time.
- Second & Subsequent Application-This is for applicants who are applying for the second, third, fourth time as per the program duration
Note: The number of loans one is eligible for depends on the program duration. For example, one is given loan 4 times for a 4-year program or 5 times for a 5-year programme
How to apply for a HELB Loan as a First Time Applicant:
- Visit our website www.helb.co.ke to access the Student Portal and click on “create an account” to register.
- Once the account is created, log in and select the appropriate Undergraduate First Time Loan Application Form [LAF].
- Read the literature or view the videos on Financial Literacy and participate in the brief exercise online.
- Access and fill the loan application form.
- Print TWO copies of the duly filled Loan Application Form [Mandatory]
- Have the forms appropriately filled, signed, and stamped by the relevant authorities.
- Attach all the documents as per the checklist and present one copy of the duly filled Loan Application Form at:
- Any of the following Huduma centers nearest to you: Bomet, Bungoma, Chuka, Eldoret, Embu, Garissa, Nairobi GPO, Kakamega, Kericho, Kilifi, Kisii, Kisumu, Kitale, Kitui, Lodwar, Machakos, Makueni, Meru, Migori, Mombasa, Murang’a, Nakuru, Nandi Narok, Nyeri, Taita Taveta, Thika and West Pokot for free and secure delivery; or
- HELB Student Service Centre on Mezzanine 1, Anniversary Towers, University Way, Nairobi
- Retain a complete copy of the Loan Application Form [This is mandatory]
- Please ensure that you read, understand, and follow the instructions provided at the beginning of the online loan application process including reading and undertaking the HELB Financial Literacy Programme.
- It is recommended that students prudently manage their HELB loans once disbursed to cater for Tuition, books, stationery, accommodation, and subsistence.
- A copy of the Applicant’s national ID Card
- Copies of the parents’ National ID Cards/death certificate where the parent is deceased
- Copies of both guarantors’ National ID Card
- A copy of the applicant’s admission letter and KCSE result slip/certificate
- A copy of the applicant’s Bank ATM/Bank card (for Government sponsored students only)
- A copy of the applicant’s Smart Card from the institution
- One recent colored passport size photograph of the applicant.
How to apply on the HELB App as a second and Subsequent applicant
- Applicants should visit Google play store and download the HELB Mobile Application.
- Register your details (First name, Phone, Email Address, National ID and KRA PIN number) on the HELB App to generate a PIN which you will use to log in and accept the license agreement. Ensure that you use the Safaricom number that you use for Mpesa transactions and it should be registered in your name
- Read the mandatory Financial literacy notes and undertake a brief Question & Answer to appreciate the purpose of credit. Scroll down to view results then click “proceed”.
- Click on loans then select undergraduate loans to get the Undergraduate Subsequent Loan Application Form [LAF].
- Follow each step to fill in the required details and submit. A pop-up message will appear to show that you have successfully applied. The loan serial number will also be displayed
NB: You will be required to pay Kshs. 1 from your MPESA account during the application process to verify your telephone number. Please note, the application is paperless hence no printing.
- Students that are not Safaricom subscribers will be directed to the Portal and apply using the application form, after which they will be required to print and submit the form to the HELB Student Service Centre on Mezzanine 1 Floor at Anniversary Towers