DeKUT Procurement and Logistics Department
DeKUT Procurement and Logistics Department | About DeKUT Procurement and Logistics Department | Courses Offered by DeKUT Procurement and Logistics Department…
The department of procurement and logistics is one of the largest departments in the University under the School of Business Management and Economics but not which was launched in 2012 and the first admission of undergraduate students joining in September 2012 amounting to 136 in Bachelors level. The masters of Science in Supply chain management was launched in 2014 with the first intake of 17 students. Diploma, Bachelors and Masters Programs which includes, Bachelor of Purchasing and Supplies Management,Masters of Science Degree in Supply Chain Management and Diploma in Purchasing and Supplies Management. To-date the department have over 500 students in both all programs. In line with the objective of the university at large, the department of Procurement & logistics is planning to start a PhD program in areas of Sustainable Supply Chain and Operations Management.
To be a premier department excelling in quality supply chain programmes, Research and Technology in Supply chain and relates areas.
To provide quality and diverse programmes, quality learning environment that engenders research, innovation and technology in Supply Chain; producing supply chain experts and to contribute to attainment of national development goals.
The department of procurement and logistics aims at achieving the following objectives;
- To enable students develop a theoretical and technical understanding of issues and approaches in Supply chain
- To install self-confidence to students so as to have the ability to critically evaluate supply chain issues, and develop from the ethical, professional and academic perspectives
- To enable the students to acquire integrated understanding of the world of business, with a firm foundation in related areas of procurement, operations management, ethics, supply chain and e-commerce
- To prepare the students for progression to higher degree, work and research I supply chain
The department shall be guided by the following core values;
- Equality and Creative Thinking: We values academic freedom, enquiry, expression and exchange of ideas and views, critical as well as creative thinking.
- Spirit of Enterprise and Innovation: We shall endeavor to foster innovation, entrepreneurship activities, and enhance cordial and fruitful partnership with other departments and other stakeholders
- Honesty and Integrity: Long term maintenance and credibility of our department strongly depends on good character, academic and personal honesty of its members
- Timeliness and Efficiency: We value honoring time schedules, effectiveness and optimal utilization of available resources to attain set goals
- Respect, Fairness, and Justice: We value human dignity, rights, of other people, fair treatment, opportunities for all and gender sensitivity.
- Transparency and Accountability: Members of the department shall be open in their dealings and be accountable in the utilization of the resources entrusted to them.
- Collegiality, Teamwork and Partnership: We value cordial relationship among staff, students and administration units and collaborations with other parties
- Environmental Management and conservation: We value contribution to environmental friendly and sustainable development and protection of natural resources.
Courses Offered by DeKUT Procurement and Logistics Department
The department has three major programs;
Diploma in Purchasing and Supplies Management
The program provides courses in core purchasing and supplies management skills in a four-semester program within two academic years. The courses in the program have been selected to give broad coverage of the functional areas of purchasing and supplies management. The program has been designed to meet the needs of people with work experience in procurement or in government or private sector employment who wish to enhance their skills in the functional areas of purchasing and supplies.
Bachelor of Purchasing and Supplies Management
The Bachelor of Purchasing and Supplies Management degree prepares candidates to work in areas of purchasing and Supplies in both private and public sectors. The course is structured to reflect the dynamic changes in purchasing and Supplies processes and provides a basis for, the world of work. It also provides academic, professional, and ethical principles and practices in decision making in an operating business environment.
The programme is meant to meet the current needs in purchasing and Supplies chain management. It incorporates course units that will enable the graduates of the programme meet demands of the job market by providing solutions to problems prevailing in private and public procurement systems.
Masters of Science in Supply Chain Management
Supply Chain Management discipline is, at best an emergent discipline in the Kenyan Economy just like it is in many developing economies. This is surprisingly so, despite the fact that Supply Chain spend represents an estimated 15–25% of GDP in developing countries. The Kenya Institute of Supplies Management projects that there is inadequate supply of Supply managers in the country and in the region at large.
The Master of Science in Supply Chain Management has been benchmarked with similar programmes offered in Europe, America and Asia for the purpose of serving the supply chain management profession and towards promoting best practice. This qualification will be a driving edge thinking and professionalism in supply chain. In line with this it will promote and develop high standards of professional skills, ability and integrity among those engaged in supply chain management as per the legal frameworks such as Public Procurement Asset and Disposal Act 2015, The Kenyan Constitution 2010, Preference and Reservation Act 2013, Public Private Partnership of Kenya 2011. Also more importantly it will assist individuals, organizations and the profession as a whole.
See Also: Department of Criminology and Security Management